Friday, August 7, 2009

Why I'm a Pirate...

Besides the obvious allure of crossing swords Jack Sparrow style, plundering treasure, and hitting it with the wenches… I’ve been finding myself asking the question lately “Why am I a pirate?” Am I so deluded inside a web of self denial and justification that I can no longer see Piracy as the theft of property and supporting of terrorism and red state communism that it surely is?


Run on sentences aside how is it that a normally honest and law abiding citizen can stoop this low? First let me say that I will not argue against the fact that piracy is illegal I will however show how it does more good then harm. I will be quick to suggest that laws as they currently exist do much less to support a creator and much more to stifle future creativity then they were most likely intended to upon implementation.

Lawrence Lessig in his book “Free Culture” separates piracy into 4 groups. Group “A” uses file sharing networks and other means of piracy as a replacement to actually purchasing media. Group “B” uses file sharing networks and other means of piracy as a method of sampling music intended for later purchase. Group “C” accesses sharing networks in an attempt to locate media no longer in circulation or available for purchase. Finally group “D” uses these same methods to acquire media that is not copyrighted or that an artist is intending to give away for free. Lessig further points out that from the perspective of the law only the last of these groups is clearly legal, however only the first of these groups is clearly harmful. Professor Lessig makes wonderful arguments regarding the importance of copyright law while explaining that it has gotten way out of hand.

So what group do I fall into… Sure there are times when group B is where im at, just trying to find out if an album is worth the investment or group C trying to locate an obscure indie track most people have never heard of but ill be honest I’ve also been guilty of downloading songs that I would never actually buy or that I have bought before but am no longer in possession of. (Please note that in the event you are with the RIAA and happen to be reading this little insignificant blog that my previous statement in no way constitutes a confession of guilt or admittance to any wrong doing) It’s not that I have anything against any musician out there… ok actually I hate quite a few of them but if im downloading their music then there is a high likelihood that I plan on listening to it at some point in time. I do however have a pretty big problem with the monster moneymaking machine not so quietly operating behind the scenes. They are the bastards putting up the bullshit adds you see before a movie asking if you wouldn’t steal a car then why would you steal a song?



They are the ones who invest in an artist by throwing money at them as a way of owning them and anything they create. That’s right when you download a song guess who you are taking money from? It’s not the creator of the music it’s the fucking middle man. Yes I understand that a lot goes into production, distribution, and advertising and that there are many jobs involved and you can quite easily see how lost revenue can cause repercussions through out the industry. But I only buy that if we are talking movies here and I’m not… I have no problem paying for the production that goes into a movie, im just not so convinced that the same level of production is still necessary from music.

Even those with discerning ears are finding it increasingly difficult to tell the difference between studio produced RIAA albums and those put out by the small unsigned garage band with under a thousand dollars worth of technology. 5-10 years ago the technology wasn’t as cheap or readily available necessitating or at least enabling large groups of investors to dominate the music industry, that time however is quickly coming to a close. I’m sorry but it’s the end of an era, more and more artists are creating their own record labels, producing and distributing their own music. More music exists in an intangible form then ever before fewer disks are being bought or sold. What we are experiencing in this global war on piracy are the death throws of a giant to scared to embrace the future or to angry at not being included.

People who truly love music will support it, if nothing else out of fear that not supporting it will make it go away but they need to know that 1 what they are paying for is worth the money they put into it and 2 that the money is getting to the people who passionately create what inspires. The issue of why I am a pirate is much more complex of an issue then I can explain within the few paragraphs I’ve posted here. Its something that I am not apologetic about, it’s a war that I happily participate in and a war that can only be won.

There is a reason that time after time in forum after forum regarding piracy or the Recording Industry that the most popular theme is simply “Fuck the RIAA”. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment